Yoga Nidra, or yogic sleep, is a kind of guided meditation. It can also be called effortless relaxation. Yoga Nidra meditation is a form of meditation where you practice meditation while lying down under the guidance of a teacher. Yoga Nidra helps to improve your life in many different ways. It helps your mind and body relax and heal in the process.
What is Yoga Nidra?
Yoga Nidra is an ancient meditation practice where a guide helps you enter a deep state of conscious sleep or relaxation. Yoga Nidra puts you in a deep sleep, where your brain activities reduce, and your body begins to heal itself. When your body begins to heal itself during a Yoga Nidra session, it clears itself of all toxins, and the mind becomes refreshed.
One can see the mention of Yoga Nidra in the Upanishads and the Mahabharata. Yoga Nidra is highly beneficial if you suffer from trauma, depression, sleep deprivation or anxiety. When you fall asleep during Yoga Nidra, your brain waves enter a state between alpha and theta waves. That means you are somewhere in between sleeping and waking. The process soothes your entire nervous system, helping you deeply heal the body and brain.
How Can You Get Started with Yoga Nidra?
You can join Yoga Nidra classes under a professional, or you might also start Yoga Nidra meditation at home by using a meditation app. You can lie flat with a pillow supporting your head, lower back and spine. Then, you can get started with yogic Nidra by following the steps:
- You should focus your mind on your most desired goal and then imagine that you have achieved your goal and thereby feel the joy from it.
- Next, you should concentrate on why you are practising yogic Nidra.
- Next, you should find your inner resource by tapping a safe space in your body to feel comfortable while practising yogic Nidra meditation.
- Then, you need to focus on specific sensations in your body to reduce tension and feel relaxed.
- Then, you will have to focus on the opposite of the emotions that you are feeling.
- Think about the positive things in your life.
- Next, you will start to feel happy. Then slowly, come back to the waking state.
The Science Behind Yoga Nidra
Yoga Nidra is a scientifically proven method to reduce stress and anxiety. It is a kind of Pratyahara or withdrawal of senses. IN the present global situation, our nervous system goes through a lot of wear and tear because of the constant fear and worry that we go through. Yoga Nidra helps relax the mind by assessing those parts of your brain that allow you to strike a harmony between different parts of your mind and body.
When you begin with Yoga Nidra, your brain waves move from a beta to an alpha state. When your brain reaches the alpha state, your body releases serotonin and calms your senses. Your body will feel tranquillity, and your brain will give out delta waves. Your mind will release pent-up grief and give you freedom from tension, fear, and worry in such a situation.
What are the 5 Amazing Benefits of Yoga Nidra?
- The most effective benefits of Yoga Nidra are reduced stress and better thought patterns. When your mind reaches a relaxed state, it slows down your nervous system, relieving muscle tension and headaches.
- Yoga Nidra improves your cognitive performance by reducing stress. When anxiety fills your mind, it cannot function properly. With Yoga Nidra, your brain releases all the tension and improves memory.
- With regular Yoga Nidra meditation, you can improve your confidence and self-esteem. Yoga Nidra includes the essential step of setting your goals or Sankalpa.
- An essential benefit of Yoga Nidra has improved sleep patterns. It makes your sleep more effortless and helps you fall asleep faster. It also helps to treat sleep disorders like sleep deprivation and insomnia.
- Regular practice of Yoga Nidra helps reduce stress and anxiety symptoms by inculcating emotional relaxation and mental calmness. People who suffer from an overburdened mind and negative thoughts can benefit immensely from Yoga Nidra meditation. This ancient meditation practice releases pent-up stress and emotions.
How Can Yoga Nidra Help Improve Your Life?
Yoga Nidra can help improve your life in several ways. You can improve your life through Yoga Nidra in the following ways:
- Yoga Nidra meditation helps your body to heal after trauma. Yoga Nidra is a part of the treatment program for soldiers in many countries.
- Yoga Nidra has been beneficial in reducing chronic pain. Yoga Nidra gives your body the chance to heal by itself. Regular Yoga Nidra meditation helps your body recover and heal, reducing inflammation and chronic pain.
- Yoga Nidra helps reduce the symptoms of P.M.S. or menstrual irregularities. If you feel low on energy, depressed or anxious, you can practice Yoga Nidra and improve your overall health.
- Regular practice of Yoga Nidra might be beneficial in managing symptoms of type 2 diabetes. It helps your body to heal and thereby control blood glucose levels.
Yoga Nidra is an ancient form of meditation that yogis have used for centuries to achieve outstanding achievements. Yoga Nidra can help improve your life immensely. It helps lower blood pressure, strengthens your immune system, recharges your vital energy, enhances your creativity and might also help in reducing addictions.