There is no doubt that Hollywood can profoundly impact our mental health. The constant stream of images and messages we receive from Hollywood can shape our perceptions of reality, influence our beliefs and values, and ultimately affect our mental well-being. Research has shown that exposure to media violence can increase aggression, anxiety, and desensitisation of world violence. Similarly, the unrealistic portrayal of perfection in the media can contribute to body image issues and eating disorders. This article sheds some light on Hollywood and mental health.
Let’s Talk about Hollywood First
Popular culture has sold the Hollywood dream to us for generations, projecting it as a place where anyone can make it if they’re just talented enough and have the right connections. But what they don’t show us is the dark side of Hollywood. The seedy underside of the industry is filled with drugs, sex, and greed. It’s a place where people will do anything to get ahead. They’ll sell their bodies and souls to make it in this business.
There are several reasons why so many Hollywood celebrities suffer from mental diseases and suicide. One factor could be the immense pressure to maintain their celebrity status and appearance. With the constant media scrutiny and public expectations, it can be challenging for celebrities to keep up with their career and personal life demands.
Another factor could be the competitive nature of Hollywood. It can be easy for celebrities to get caught up in the rat race in such a cutthroat industry and lose sight of what’s important to them. It can lead to feelings of anxiety, depression, and worthlessness.
Hollywood Actor and Actress Who Committed Suicide Due to Mental Illness
There have been innumerable incidences of suicide in Hollywood. The lifestyle of Hollywood celebrities can be a factor responsible for this. With the constant partying and drinking, it’s not surprising that many celebrities abuse drugs and alcohol. It can lead to further mental health problems and increase the risk of suicide. Following are just some renowned Hollywood personalities who committed suicide:
- Robin Williams: Oscar-winning actor committed suicide in 2014 after battling depression.
- Chris Cornell: Soundgarden frontman took his own life in 2017 after struggling with addiction and depression.
- Marilyn Monroe: This glamorous superstar of Hollywood bid goodbye to this world at the young age of 36 after battling mental and physical illness by accidentally/knowingly overdosing on barbiturates.
- Lee Thompson Young: The Famous Jett Jackson star suffered from bipolar disorder and depression and shot himself to death in 2013.
- Mindy McCready: This country star who tasted early success with “Ten Thousand Angels” struggled with depression, alcoholism, and drugs and died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Fame May Cause Mental Instability
Fame may cause mental instability because of different types of pressures that celebrities face:
- Social: There is a lot of pressure to maintain a specific image and be liked by everyone. It can lead to social anxiety and isolation. Additionally, celebrities often deal with public scrutiny and criticism, which can be very stressful and lead to mental health issues.
- Emotional: Dealing with the ups and downs of life in the public eye can be very difficult. It can lead to depression and other mental health issues.
- Lifestyle: Another reason celebrities’ mental illnesses might occur is their chaotic lifestyles. It can be very disruptive to their mental health and can lead to conditions such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. Additionally, drug and alcohol abuse is common among celebrities and can contribute to mental health problems.
News Celebrities May be the Victim of Mental Torture in the Hollywood Industry
The new-found stardom of Hollywood can be overwhelming for new celebrities:
- They are constantly being judged and compared to other stars.
- They are under a lot of pressure to maintain their image and be liked by everyone.
- They may feel isolated because of the lifestyle they live.
- They might feel pressured to attend the filmy parties and take on alcohol or drugs, even if it is against their nature, and they don’t feel comfortable about it.
Things that Need to be Looked After When an Actor and Actress Begin a Career in Hollywood
Hollywood can be a harsh industry to break into, and actors and actresses need to be aware of the potential negative impact on their mental health.
- They should have a sound support system in place in the form of family and friends.
- Newbies must prepare themselves for struggle and rejection.
- They should take care of themselves and not get too caught up in the Hollywood lifestyle.
- New actors should also be aware of the mental health resources available to them if they need help and should not hesitate to seek professional help from counsellors and psychiatrists to tackle their mental issues in the early stages.
The mental health of actors is often overlooked in Hollywood. The pressure to maintain a specific appearance and lifestyle can lead to severe mental health issues, such as anxiety and depression. Unfortunately, these disorders are often left untreated due to the stigma attached to mental illness in the entertainment industry.
Anxiety and depression are not the only mental health issues that plague actors. Substance abuse is also a common problem, as many turn to drugs or alcohol to cope with the pressures of fame. It can lead to addiction, which can be extremely difficult to overcome.
Hollywood can take small steps to help provide support and resources for established actors and newcomers who may be struggling with mental health issues. It can include making sure that qualified mental health professionals are available to celebrities and circulating information about mental health and suicide prevention resources.
It can also help create an environment where talking about mental health and suicidal thoughts are not taboo. It can help reduce the stigma around mental health issues and make it more likely that those struggling will seek help.
Visit www.unitedwecare.com to read more articles on mental health issues and awareness.