Relationships are tricky and take a lot of effort, love, respect, and mutual appreciation. Regarding romantic relationships, it can get trickier because both partners need to be on the same page with mutual admiration, honesty, and respect. It is difficult to determine who loves who more in a relationship, but many times one partner can take the other for granted. Does this sound familiar?
“He Takes Me For Granted”
Feeling that “he takes me for granted” is easy to pop up in any woman’s head. In some cases, not just partners but even friends, family, and colleagues can take you for granted. We understand how hurtful that is but have you ever wondered why your partner might be taking you for granted? When you say he takes me for granted, it means he doesn’t appreciate or value you enough. This might mean a lack of gratitude or expressing their love or appreciation for you.
No matter how selfless and giving you are, as a human being in a relationship, you are bound to expect love, gratitude, appreciation, and praise. However, what if your partner does not do these things? Let’s delve a bit more into why he may be taking you for granted and what you can do to save your relationship.
Why Does He Take Me For Granted?
Well, here are a few reasons to answer the question: “Why does he take me for granted?”
- You love him too much
Believe it or not, expressing your love in excess can make your partner take you for granted as they begin thinking that no matter what, you will never leave them. It may be time to rethink!
- He practically rules your life
If your partner has the power to make you smile, cry, angry, and happy, it is a sign that you are weak before them, causing him to take you for granted.
- You are very compliant and adjusting
Women who are overly emotional, adjusting, and submissive are often taken for granted by their partners in relationships.
- You do not care about credits
If you are one of those who care a lot for someone but do not expect it, it is time to become wiser. Essentially, your lack of expectation can make your partner take you for granted.
- Lack of self-confidence
When you lack confidence, it gives others a chance to dominate you, including your partner. If this sounds like you, that may be your answer to “Who do I feel like he takes me for granted?”
How to Know If He Takes Me For Granted?
Most times we fail to see that our partners are taking us for granted unless someone points it out to us. Here are some signs that could mean your partner is taking you for granted:
- Your partner does not treat you with respect.
- There is a lack of acknowledgment or appreciation for something you did.
- If he makes plans without you or your knowledge.
- Your opinions do not matter to him.
- He makes you feel insignificant.
- There are frequent occurrences where he insults you or makes you feel worthless.
- He stopped dressing up well in front of you like in earlier days.
- He does not pay attention to you when you are talking (a red flag in your relationship).
- He prioritizes his friends over you.
- There is hesitancy or lack of intimacy.
- He is reluctant to introduce you to his family.
Does This Mean He Doesn’t Love Me?
Have you ever wondered why “My partner takes me for granted – does this mean he doesn’t love me?” This sets off a vicious cycle of trying to please their partner, become clingy, be available all the time, overtly express their love, etc. This makes the man even more complacent about the relationship, and he tends to take his girlfriend or wife for granted even more.
If your partner is taking you for granted, it does not necessarily mean he doesn’t love you. There can be many reasons why he may be taking you for granted and understanding the reason is the best way to resolve this issue. If your partner does feel there is a lack of love from his side or your repeated attempts at changing his behavior go in vain, it may be advisable to go for couple or marriage therapy.
Should I Leave Him or Walk Away If He Takes Me For Granted?
If your boyfriend or husband takes you for granted, leaving him should not be on top of your list of things to do. We understand it can be insulting and frustrating but ending a relationship should never be the first move. There are many ways to resolve this issue, beginning with effective communication.
Many times, discussing with your partner is enough for him to see how he has been behaving, thereby changing it. Everyone deserves a chance, and you should give your partner one too to allow him to be better. At the same time, you must try and remove factors that you may be contributing to making him feel your importance and value.
Despite all these efforts, if your partner refuses to change his behavior or continues to take you for granted, it may be a good idea to walk away and end the relationship for your good and his!
“I Want to Teach Him a Lesson”: How to Make Him Worry About Losing You
While it is nice to be polite and adjusting with your partner, there needs to be a fine line between loving them and allowing them to take you for granted. Moreover, being too clingy or excessively worrying about your partner leaving you is also unhealthy for a relationship. If your partner takes you for granted, sometimes making them worry about losing you is a good idea to reignite the spark in your relationship. Here are some handy tips you can try!
- Don’t always be available for him; play hard to get
- Talk about plans in the future where he isn’t there
- Do not jump to answer his call or be prompt to reply to his messages; let him wait and expect
- Spend time with yourself
- Add a few new sex moves
- Be social and flirtatious in front of him. No man can stand jealousy!
- Don’t be clingy
- Avoid pleasing him all the time
- Be independent in every way
- Spend time with your family and friends
These are sure to make your partner appreciate you more and worry about losing you.
How to Stop Him From Taking Me For Granted?
Being in a relationship requires some amount of maturity from both partners. Here are some ways to stop him from taking you for granted:
- Communicate: Express your concerns to him and be vocal about how you feel. You may need to cite some examples if your partner is unable to understand where you are coming from.
- Focus on yourself: Shift your attention to yourself rather than pampering him with all the love and attention. When he notices that you are enjoying yourself, even without him, this might get him thinking and get him hooked on to you again.
- Give him a taste of his own medicine: Sometimes, a “tit for tat” works better than free communication.
- Give Space to your relationship: Give yourself and your partner space in the relationship. This might help him realize your importance in his life.
If you are experiencing trouble in your marriage, consult expert counselors at United We Care!