It may sound interesting when someone mentions Morgan Freeman and mental health issues together because we ordinarily know the Hollywood actor for his deep voice, acting versatility, and composed appearance. The well-known face of the Hollywood actor, Morgan Freeman, is only the tip of the iceberg for a much deeper human being bravely fighting his battle with excruciating pain and other mental health issues associated with fibromyalgia.
What is the Connection between Morgan Freeman’s and Mental Health
Morgan Freeman met with a near-fatal car accident in 2008 that resulted in severe nerve damage. Despite all efforts by surgeons to minimise the nerve damage, the celebrity actor had to accept that his left arm would be almost useless. The widespread nerve damage made him the victim of fibromyalgia, a chronic and incurable nerve disease.
Morgan Freeman has fibromyalgia which seriously affects mental health causing physical symptoms like loss of range of motion, chronic pain, tingling in the legs or hands, and morning stiffness. The stress resulting from these physical symptoms of fibromyalgia causes anxiety, depression, loss of self-esteem, and social isolation.
We can imagine the devastating effect of these symptoms on a celebrity like Morgan Freeman, who has to keep up appearances for his career. His positive approach is best reflected in one of his famous quotes, “I only get one life, and I will not let fibromyalgia take the joy from living it”.
Why Morgan Freeman is a Great Advocate for Mental Health Awareness
The near-fatal car accident and subsequent diagnosis of fibromyalgia established a link between Morgan Freeman and mental health concerns of fibromyalgia.
Morgan, an Oscar-winning actor with a life-long career and a huge fan following, has a deep and compassionate voice. His tranquil demeanour and positive approach toward life can motivate people suffering from chronic mental health conditions.
Morgan has learned to go with the flow of life even though he cannot enjoy sailing, diving, or horseback riding like he used to. He is a living example of how one can make the most of life in the face of adversities. Morgan Freeman is a happy man, as he can still work and play golf, even though he can’t use both hands. These attributes place Morgan Freeman as an inspiring advocate for mental health awareness. The scope of his outreach as a great superstar makes him the right person to campaign for mental health awareness.
How Morgan Freeman is Changing the Conversation around Mental Health
Fibromyalgia can cause severe mental health conditions. In individuals with fibromyalgia, there is three times more likelihood of depression. It may result from abnormal behaviour of the sympathetic nervous system or increased pain sensitivity. The natural reaction of any individual to the loss of functionality and pain is the feeling of sadness.
The following symptoms are common if depression overpowers sadness:
- Loss of self-esteem
- Lack of interest in recreational activities
- Suicidal thoughts
There is a close association between fibromyalgia and anxiety or depression. These mental health symptoms are common in people with fibromyalgia besides the excruciating pain. Morgan Freeman has shown that one can improve the quality of life by changing your perception of life. You can be in control of your symptoms by remaining active despite the pain and other symptoms.
What we can learn from Morgan Freeman about Mental Health Awareness
- Accepting life as it comes is significant learning from Morgan Freeman’s struggle with mental health and other concerns of chronically painful disorders.
- Morgan Freeman has magnanimously moved ahead in his life by accepting his painful and almost dysfunctional left hand.
- Some events in life force you to change your outlook. It is better to accept the change and keep moving.
- Morgan Freeman wishes people to know that his condition is not so depressing. Deep breathing exercises are helpful in stressful situations.
- You can even try focusing on deep breathing while battling the pain and other symptoms of fibromyalgia. Practising mindfulness can help people deal with stress and anxiety effectively. Interestingly, M.F. is an acronym for both Morgan Freeman and mindfulness.
Visit United We Care to know how to deal with mental health concerns
How has Morgan Freeman helped to Raise Awareness for Mental Health?
- Managing the symptoms is the most crucial aspect of treating fibromyalgia, an incurable condition.
- There is a strong link between Morgan Freeman and mental health awareness, as many individuals draw inspiration from the superstar’s successful battle with the excruciatingly painful condition. His powerful performance as Red in “The Shawshank Redemption” highlights the value of hope and perseverance in the most hopeless situations.
- Morgan Freeman feels that one must try to move on to other things if enjoying former hobbies is not physically possible. Your celebrity status or wealth cannot offer immunity against debilitating conditions.
- Morgan Freeman is constantly working to raise awareness about mental health conditions like depression, anxiety, brain fog, and confusion.
Managing mental health concerns of chronic and painful conditions like fibromyalgia is crucial as the disorder is incurable. Severe pain, fatigue, depression, brain fog, and other fibromyalgia symptoms are vital links between Morgan Freeman and mental health. He is illustrating to the world that one can continue to enjoy finer aspects of life even if it may not be possible to pursue former hobbies.
One should never put brakes on life because of mental health concerns is the message Morgan wants to communicate. Relieving symptoms can help reduce mental health complications of fibromyalgia. Pain relief is possible by using acupuncture or massage therapies. Regular exercises help keep muscles active.
It is possible to boost your self-esteem by actively dealing with the pain and other symptoms of the condition. It will also enhance the quality of life you feel confident about playing an active role in routine work by managing your symptoms.