In the contemporary world, life can be highly stressful. Everyone is trying to achieve too much and wants to emerge a winner. People follow poor stress management techniques like drinking alcohol and increasing caffeine intake. It is becoming increasingly crucial to understand and practice better stress management skills like mindfulness meditation. Before that, it’s essential to know how meditation to practice mindfulness works. What are its benefits, and how can it be used for optimum results?
What Is Mindful Meditation?
Meditation refers to techniques involving focusing your thoughts and attention on a specific thing, letting go of all other things, and relaxing in peace. Mindfulness is the awareness of our inner-self. It includes what we do, sense, feel and how we react to our surroundings. It is about paying more attention to whatever you are doing, including daily brushing your teeth, bathing, and eating.
Mindfulness mediation is meditation to practice mindfulness. It is a mental calming technique that teaches you to develop positivity and let go of negativity to relax your body and mind. It helps to control your racing thoughts. Mindful meditation teaches you to suspend judgment and approach everything and everyone with kindness, positivity, and love. Mindfulness meditation includes:
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction
- Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy
How to Practice Mindfulness Meditation?
- The first step is to select the right spot. It should be a quiet place without any distractions. The best thing to do is switch off mobile phones, televisions, and other distractions.
- Make sure you are comfortable. Wear loose clothes and sit in a comfortable position. Listen to a piece of soft repetitive music.
- Once seated comfortably, close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Feel the air filling your lungs and your abdomen expanding while breathing in, and your core falling inward when you breathe out.
- Next, focus on your thoughts. Don’t worry if your mind wanders and loses its attention on breathing. Don’t be hard on yourselves when your mind wanders. You should remember that mindfulness meditation is not about stopping your thoughts but building awareness. Gently bring back your attention to your breathing after a few seconds.
- Focus your mind on the present. Don’t think about the past or future.
- You can start with meditation to practice mindfulness for 5-10 minutes and gradually increase to 20 minutes or more. However, we advise not to prolong for an extended period.
- Come out of the meditation slowly with gentle stretches.
Mindfulness Meditation for Anxiety and Depression
Are you sceptical if meditation to practice mindfulness will work for anxiety and depression? Don’t be. It has been proven with several studies that it does work. Indeed, it is not a complete cure for anxiety and depression, but it can make the symptoms more manageable. A 2015 study proved a considerable drop in stress and anxiety in a group of nursing students. Do you want to know how it works?
- It helps you get rid of your negative thoughts. Negative thoughts are one of the main culprits that cause stress and anxiety. Mindfulness meditation helps you to focus on your studies without self-criticism and judgment. So you start loving yourselves and feel happy and relaxed.
- You will be able to recognise symptoms like negative thoughts, irritability, and anger as soon as they come up. You will be able to manage them better when you identify them in the initial stages.
Getting professional help to practice mindfulness meditation techniques and getting mindfulness meditation-based therapies will be more effective. You can get online help from experts at https://www.unitedwecare.com/services/online-therapy-and-counseling/.
Mindfulness Meditation for Physical Health
There are no studies to support mindfulness meditation as a treatment for any disease. However, many studies have shown that it does benefit people physically.
- Mindfulness reduces the symptoms of heart diseases, as there is a notable decrease in systolic and diastolic pressure. Medical experts suggest mindfulness medication as an added treatment for heart diseases and their prevention.
- It effectively slows down cognitive decline in people with Alzheimer’s and aged people with memory issues.
- The immune cells play an essential role in fighting cancer, and H.I.V. Mindful meditation increases the immune cells. So, it helps prevent and progress diseases that call upon the T-cells or the immune cells.
- A study suggests that mindfulness meditation helps relieve symptoms of arthritis and faster healing of wounds.
- Telomeres are protein D.N.A. structures that shorten with age. Shorter telomeres are associated with increased risks of diseases. Mindfulness helps in the longevity of telomeres.
- It gives you relief from headaches.
Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation
Today, many professionals like lawyers and techies are practising mindfulness meditation. Not only that, some companies like Google are providing mindfulness meditation because of its proven benefits. What are they?
- It helps you to sleep better. Sleep deprivation can affect your physical health by increasing blood pressure and heart rate. Insomnia can impact your mental health by increasing stress. Mindfulness influences the areas in your brain that control sleep and let you sleep better.
- Mindfulness meditation manages chronic diseases like irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, etc.
- It is very effective in combating stress, anxiety, and depression. Regular practise of this technique helps in improving your cognitive skills and focus.
- You will enjoy better emotional health by decreasing negative thoughts and reducing the levels of mood affecting chemicals called cytokines.
- It is of great help to understand yourself and improve self-awareness. 6. Mindfulness helps you to cope with problems and find solutions.
Mindfulness Meditation for Spiritual Health
Spiritual health is vital for your physical and social wellbeing. You will have clearer views and better thinking and feel connected to people around you. It gives you a feeling of fulfilment and joy. How does mindful meditation improve spiritual health?
Mindfulness itself is a spiritual practice, and people who practice it have experienced better spiritual health irrespective of their religion. Mindfulness meditation makes you live in the present, not the past or the future. Living in the past makes you regretful and, ultimately, anxious, but living in the present makes you contented and calm. Focusing on whatever you are doing brings peace of mind. A peaceful, relaxed mind is sure to improve your spiritual health.
Mindful meditation helps you cultivate inner peace and calm. It boosts your ability to overcome challenges and physical illnesses. It also enables you to be a better person at home and work. If you plan to give mindful meditation a try, start it today. If you want expert help and guidance, you can reach out to us at United We Care.