Intimacy and understanding one another’s bodies and needs form one of the primary pillars of any romantic relationship. The sexual relationship also plays a crucial role in creating a bond between two partners. But problems, such as Erectile Dysfunction (E.D.), can cause frustration and affect the relationship. E.D. is also called impotence. If you experience E.D. symptoms, it is advisable to talk to a healthcare professional who can guide you thoroughly through the diagnosis and treatments. A sexual relationship is crucial to improving your overall health and adding a spark to your relationship.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction (E.D.) is a sign of a physical or psychological condition where a man cannot get and maintain an erection long enough for sexual intercourse. It is a common sexual problem and affects nearly 30 million men globally. If a man fails to get an erection more than 50% of the time during sexual intercourse, it indicates a medical treatment problem. E.D. may be associated with a psychological problem, increased alcohol intake, and a lack of desire and passion towards your partner.
In most cases, E.D. is usually an indication or symptom of another underlying condition. The causes of erectile dysfunction can vary for every man. Erection is linked to the blood flow into the blood vessels present in the penis. The obstruction of blood flow due to various health problems can cause E.D. With proper treatment, E.D. is entirely curable.
What are the causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction causes extreme frustration and can lower the confidence of a man. Doctors believe that intense psychological stress, physical problems or health conditions, and certain medications can cause E.D. Following are the most common causes of E.D.
- Health conditions
- Psychological or Emotional issues
- Lifestyle behaviours
What health conditions can trigger or may lead to E.D?
1. Health conditions: Certain health conditions can trigger or may lead to E.D.:
- Type-II Diabetes
- Chronic kidney diseases
- Prostate cancer
- Multiple sclerosis: a neurological condition that may affect the nerves connected to various organs, including the penis.
- Bladder infections
- Injury to spinal cord, bladder, pelvis, penis, or prostate
What Psychological or emotional stress can worsen E.D
2. Psychological or Emotional issues: Psychological or emotional stress can worsen E.D. The following factors can contribute individually or as a group factor for E.D.:
- Performance anxiety
- Low self-esteem
- Stress about specific sexual activities
Which medicines can cause side effects like E.D
3. Medications: Certain medicines can cause side effects like E.D.:
- Hypertension (blood pressure) medicines
- Antiandrogens for prostate cancers
- Sedatives or Tranquilizers
- Chemotherapy medication
- Ulcer medicines
- Anti-seizure medicines
How does Lifestyle behaviours are leading causes of E.D. in men
4. Lifestyle behaviours: The modern lifestyle factors also are leading causes of E.D. in men:
- Drugs intake
- Overweight or obesity
- Lack of physical activities
What are the symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction symptoms are similar in most males. They can have persistent.
- Trouble getting an erection during foreplay or sexual intercourse.
- Trouble retaining an erection until the sexual intercourse.
- It reduced sexual desires toward partners.
- Lack of interest in getting intimate or making the first move.
Having such feelings and problems for a long time may indicate E.D. and requires counselling.
What is the treatment of Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction treatment depends on its cause. Timely diagnosis, support, and medical treatment can cure erectile dysfunction in men. In some men, sometimes medicines cause erectile dysfunction. The temporary E.D. goes away once you stop the medication and resume normal activities. The treatment plan for E.D. differs for every male, considering the causes and the severity of the problem. Some common ways of treating E.D. are as follows:
- Consult your doctor regarding E.D. and change your medications if necessary.
- Prescribed oral medicines, including Viagra, Cialis, and Stendra, may help treat E.D. They relax the muscles and increase the blood flow to the penal blood vessels.
- Knowledge and open communication with your doctors helps clear all the doubts and reach a valid conclusion.
- Make critical lifestyle changes, like quitting substance abuse and getting physically active.
- Certain mechanical aids and penal injection therapies serve as erectile aids that stimulate the blood flow to the penis.
- Psychological and sex therapies can help a lot if the cause of E.D. is due to severe stress. The counsellor will help you address the root cause of fear, anxiety, or depression that may lead to E.D. After counselling, the expert may recommend other medical treatments if necessary.
What are the effects of Erectile Dysfunction on your mental health and relationship?
- The inability to have a fulfilled sex life can leave a man doubtful about his manliness and fertility. It lowers the confidence and can create a stressful situation between the partners.
- E.D. might be a sensitive topic to discuss with your partner, but seeking medical help is the best and the most reliable option.
- The female partner might get conscious of her body and question the relationship due to her partner’s inability to have an erection and sexual intercourse.
- It can also impact the man’s emotional health, as he thinks he cannot satisfy his partner sexually. He might also be constantly worried and anxious that his partner will leave him.
- Overthinking and stress due to E.D. can cause a sense of emasculation, worthlessness, and insecurity in men.
- It, in turn, triggers more anxiety and depressive episodes. It is crucial to have open communication with your partner and therapist to agree on a standard solution or treatment plan. Meanwhile, you can opt for foreplay sessions with your partner after consulting your therapist.
A man takes pride in his sexual health and in the ability to satisfy his partner. The inability to do so impacts his mental health and relationship with his partner. Considering erectile dysfunction is a typical sex issue, there are a lot of medical treatments available for the physical and psychological causes of E.D. In temporary cases, medical consultancy and an active lifestyle help cure the E.D. within a few days or weeks. It is crucial to have a busy sexual life to impact your overall health and relationship positively.